Tips to Ease Your Fear of the Dentist
Dental fear is as common as fear of snakes & fear of heights. That’s according to the Diagnostic Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. According to the DSM, 4% of people have dental phobia. Fortunately, with the help of a compassionate cosmetic dentist Las Vegas you can do something to overcome you fear.
What to Do About Dental Anxiety
If dental appointments make your nerves flare, ease your worries by doing the following:
- Find a dentist who specializes in dealing with phobic patients. Some of your friends and family probably feels the same about dentists, so ask them for recommendations. One Las Vegas dentist who fits the requirement is Dr. William Gussow of Vegas Smiles.
- Once you find the ideal Vegas cosmetic dentist, talk to him or her about your anxiety. A tour around the clinic, meeting the staff, and talking to the dentist can help you assess the environment.
- Choose to have the treatment early in the morning so you don’t have time to agonize over it.
- Get to know your dentist. First appointments usually don’t end up with you going under the drill or a needle. It could be just a simple check-up for the dentist to find out and tell you what needs to be done. Use it to build on familiarity with your dentist.
- Take someone you trust to you appointment. The dentist will welcome the company if it will help you be comfortable.
- Agree early on for signals you will use for when you need a break. A compassionate dentist in Las Vegas will appreciate your help to make the treatment a success.
- Start with the simplest treatments. It could be a simple cleaning or polishing procedure. This will help build up your trust towards the dentist. You can start from there and gradually move to more pervasive treatment.
- Listen to music. Bring your own music player so you can play you favorites. It will help calm the nerves./li>
Advances in Dentistry
If you kept yourself from visiting the dentist out of fear, rest in the fact that dental advances have made dental operations more tolerable today. There are completely painless treatments. The dental wand and the numbing gel are but two of the newest advances in dentistry that are great for patients afraid of the needle.
Best Cosmetic Dentist in Las Vegas
Extreme nervousness can keep you from dental treatments. Remember that you can opt for sedation dentistry from Dr. William Gussow of Vegas Smiles. He is a cosmetic dentist in Las Vegas who specializes working with phobic patients. His staff are also trained to deal with patients who struggle seeing a dentist. Dr. Gussow does various treatments like teeth whitening, Invisalign and CEREC One Day Crowns. Visit him at Vegas Smiles today!